This recipe is based on lentil sheppards pie from “the hungry student vegetarian cookbook” by Charlotte Pike.
I made changes as I don’t like celery and sweet potato is nicer in a pie than normal in my opinion. I also add a lot of cheese and veg stock to make it more tasty.
- Sweet potatoes
- Tinned chopped tomatoes
- Garlic cloves
- Veg stock
- Red lentils
- Salt pepper
- Boil the potato’s cut in chunks for 15/20 minutes then drain.
- While they boil, fry the onions, carrot and garlic.
- Add the tomatos, lentils and veg stock.
- Put the drained potato back into the pan and add some cheese and margerine.
- Once the pie filling is all soft (don’t worry if the carrots are a little hard), place in a baking dish and cover with the potato mash. Add grated cheese to the top to create a crispy cheese topping.